IRD’s conflict mitigation team supports the full spectrum of stability activities during major combat operations and in post-conflict settings. We build the capacity of our local partners and civil society organizations to support the transition to peace and democracy, and we assist communities to mitigate the potential for ethnic, tribal, religious, gang, and other conflict. Flexibility is at the core of our programming, and the conflict mitigation team employs management strategies adaptable to disparate environments, security challenges, and client needs. When possible, we operate within the communities being served rather than from distant national capitals, and we engage field staff locally to implement programs. IRD’s community stabilization capabilities support a wide range of donor and partner priorities:
- Comprehensive stabilization operations including relief and humanitarian assistance.
- Strengthening community resilience against violent extremism.
- Building capacity of civil society and local government to support the transition to democracy.
- Expeditionary economic development to spur growth during and after conflict or disasters.
- Disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration after ethnic, tribal, natural resource, or other conflict.
- Training communities and at-risk-youth in peace-building, conflict management, mediation, and conflict analysis.
By supporting the full range of children’s educational needs, IRD and its partners... more
IRD has a proud history of commitment to women’s issues since our founding in 1998.... more
Colombia’s struggle against drug production and export, terrorism, and other armed... more
Yemen is the poorest country in the Arab world and consistently ranks at the bottom... more
IRD community stabilization programming helps meet the unique social and economi... more
The Grassroots Theater Initiative introduced theater founded on the “theater of the... more
Victims of conflict in the Pakistani Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK) province and the F... more
Building citizens’ confidence and trust in government are fundamental to achieving... more